Residential buildings

We provide design advice and approved pre-completion testing under Approved Document E of the Building Regulations and the Code the Sustainable Homes.  Since 2003, new or converted houses, flats and rooms for residential purposes require sound insulation testing.  This is a requirement under Approved Document E (ADE) of the Building Regulations.

Pre-completion testing, or PCT, is required through walls and floors separating dwellings from other dwellings or from other parts of the same building.  The number of tests required for a given development is set out in the regulations.  In general, you will need tests through walls and / or floors in at least ten percent of houses and flats with identical wall or floor constructions.  Tests are also required between dwellings and non-residential parts of the same building, or between dwellings and non-residential buildings.  This may, for example, include a floor between a first-floor flat and a ground floor shop.

Adrian James Acoustics was one of the first companies in the UK to be registered under the ANC Scheme.  All of our testers are also consultants with the expertise to locate faults on site and to advise on remedial design in the event of tests failing, and most are inspectors or deputy inspectors under the Robust Details scheme.  Adrian is also an ANC examiner and co-Chairman of the Registration Committee which administers the ANC Scheme.

We also provide a design service, advising architects and builders on constructions to comply with the Regulations, and on the more stringent requirements for credits under the Code for Sustainable Homes.  If it would be more economical for you to use Robust Details, we will tell you rather than generate work (and fees) for ourselves through pre-completion testing.

Goldsmith Street Stirling Prize 2019
Hammerton Court Dementia Unit
Lincoln College apartments
UEA Residences